Friday, March 19, 2010

It's the March Can Jam!

Actually, it's the March Can Jam that almost wasn't.

Since the last week of February, I've been working until at least 6 or 7pm every evening, and even one weekend. That doesn't leave much time for anything else--including stuff I need to get done like laundry and get to the grocery store. With what precious little free time I did have left I just didn't feel like spending in the kitchen over a hot stove.

But, the work gods were smiling today, the last day to post for this month. I left work at 4:30. And came home and canned.

The March ingredient has been the most exciting yet. In February, I had trouble finding recipes that were suitable for canning, as carrots are ultra low-acid. (Thanks to the Can Jam Roundup, I've got several now, though). Alliums are so versatile. And there's so many varieties. I first thought I would do something with ramps, since they're a little more off the beaten path. But I wasn't sure I could get enough by today (and I would have had some trouble, as they are just beginning to pop up here in West Virginia). And, I think garlic should be it's own food group, so that would be a good choice for me. But I picked Vinegared Red Onions, instead. It sounded interresting, but mostly because I had everything I needed in the pantry.

Vinegared Red Onions
(from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving)

3 pounds red onions
4 cups red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic

Peel onions and slice into 1/4 " rings. Bring vinegar and garlic to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add onion rings to vinegar. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Discard garlic (or not. I forgot to.) Pack hot onions into prepared jars, leaving 1/4 " head space. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jars. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.


getting ready to can


getting the air bubbles out

finished jars--Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment