Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dark Days Challenge: Week 2. Steak and potatoes


Last Friday, we had a heat wave here in Charleston. It hit 37 degrees. This weather is ridiculous.

I took advantage of the warmer temperatures to throw some steaks on the grill. The Monroe Farm Market started selling beef again a few weeks ago, and I bought some New York strip steaks. This is quickly becoming my favorite cut of steak. I marinated the steaks in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, red wine and garlic. The red wine, sadly wasn't local--which is a shame since there are some really great wines made within an hour or two from me, but a Chilean Syrah was what I had in the kitchen. The garlic was, local though.

What goes better with steaks than potatoes? My favorite way to make them with steaks is to grill them. It's so easy. Boil whole potatoes for about 15 minutes until they begin to get tender when poked with a fork. Slice them in half long-ways and brush all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Throw them on the grill with the steaks until they have a golden crust. Immediately after taking them off the grill, sprinkle cheese on them and let it melt slightly. Blue cheese crumbles are the absolute best on these potatoes, but I used local goat cheese, which was pretty darn good also.

The steaks were from Swift Level Farm. The potatoes were kennebec white from Spangler's Greenhouse. The goat cheese was Walker Mountain Goat Cheese. All bought from the Monroe Farm Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment