Thursday, December 20, 2012

Restaurant Redo: Vodka Pizza

A few weeks ago, when I visited New York City, I had New York style pizza in Little Italy at Pomodoro Restaurant. It was so simple, but so delicious. It got me thinking that I could make it at home. The Hubs and I make pasta with vodka sauce as our Valentine's Day tradition, so by the time I left the restaurant, I had this pizza halfway made at home in my mind.


The pizza dough recipe I use makes a huge pizza, so I usually divide it in two and make two smaller pizzas since it's just the two of us. After I made the kale pizza last week, I wrapped the other half of the dough in plastic wrap and put it in a ziplock bag in the fridge. I planned on using it the next night, or at the most, two nights from then. But, alas, life happens. It was a crazy week with plenty of errands to run, Christmas revelry, and evening meetings. I didn't have a single night at home all week. And my dough just sat there patiently and sadly in it's baggie.

Ya remember the last post about how I broke my pizza crust fail streak? Yeah, well. Dough karma got me. It must have been because it was in the refrigerator for a week, because the kale pizza crust was awesome.  Sadly, this crust did not get perfectly crisp. It was a little soggy in the middle. Mental note that dough will not keep seven days in the fridge.

But the pizza was pretty tasty otherwise. I kicked it up a notch with some stuff I had on hand in addition to simply vodka sauce and fresh mozzarella that the original from Pomodoro had on it. I had roasted some cloves of elephant garlic a few days earlier when I had the oven on for something else. Seriously, if you're going to be baking something around 350 for more than 15 minutes or so, just throw some garlic in to roast. It barely takes up any space, and it'll keep in the fridge for a week or so. I also had bought a big container of organic fresh basil that was marked down for quick sale, and I had a handful of fresh basil leaves left after I made a batch of pesto for the freezer.


The pizza was pretty quick to put together. The vodka sauce recipe we use is from Rachel Ray. It's called "You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta", which I think is adorable. Spread vodka sauce on the pizza, top with basil, roasted garlic and bocconcini mozzarella. I baked it at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, like the kale pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment