Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dark Days Challenge: Week 14

Sorry, no picture this week. Again, we were halfway done eating before I remembered. I was hungry.

Spare Ribs from Almost Heave Farm in Monoroe County
Green beans canned last summer by MIL and grown by FIL in Clay County
roasted potatoes from Spangler's Greenhouse in Monroe County

I basted the ribs in a mix of molasses, vinegar and dijon mustard. None were local.
I tossed a teaspoon of butter in the beans from Homestead Creamery in Wirtz, VA
The potatoes had olive oil and Emeril's Essence on them.

Things are getting crazy at work, I might have to take a break from the challenge this week or next. We're in the homestretch, though. This past weekend, we had a heatwave of temps in the 50s that had everyone emerging from hiberation and washing a lot of vehicles. This weekend, I got a bit of spring fever myself, and found myself SO looking forward to that first fresh batch of spring greens or asparagus. This past year, I've been trying to eat more locally, but I've noticed it's gotten really hard the last couple weeks. I am just so tired of sweet potatoes and winter squash. Hopefully, it's not much longer before the first crops make their way back to the farmers' markets around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment