Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dark Days Challenge Week 5: PIZZA

Oh, how I love homemade pizza. I love to make it and I especially love to eat it.

Tonight I made thin crust pizza with sausage, carmelized onions, mushrooms, roasted garlic, mozzarella, extra virgin olive oil and balsalmic glaze.

For the dough: hard winter wheat flour from Reed's Mill Flours in Second Creek, Monroe County; active dry yeast, extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.
Pork sausage from Sandy Creek Farms in Jackson County, garlic from Critchfield Farms in Jackson County. From the supermarket: organic yellow onions, organic mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, balsalmic glaze and extra virgin olive oil.


Carmelizing onions.

If I'm going to put onions on a pizza, I always carmelize them. They are so much better when you are using them on something that you really get the taste. It's not hard to do either, it just takes some time. I cut them into very thin slices, but that's just a matter of preference.

Proofing pizza dough.

At one time, I bought premade pizza crusts like Boboli brand. I had a fear of making anything that called for yeast and rising that it just wouldn't work under my hand. But half the fun of cooking for me is trying things you never dreamed you could make. I waded into the yeast and rising waters with pizza dough because I figured it wouldn't matter if it didn't rise, since it is pizza dough after all. But voila ... so easy. I haven't looked back since. I have a super easy recipe from Tyler Florence's Eat This Book: Cooking with Global Fresh Flavors.

The recipe makes enough for one big pizza, but I always split it into two batches since there are only two of us, and use the second half in a few days. Tuesday, I'm making calzones with it. Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment