Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dark Days Challenge Week 6: Calzones and a side helping of KARMA

I made calzones for dinner tonight. Er, I mean, A calzone. More on that in a minute. I was delicious. But not very pretty.

I'm so ashamed of how bad it looked that this is the only picture I took.
It actually looks pretty good here, doesn't it? It's the gooey cheese. So sexy...

Anyway, you might recall when I made pizza last week. And, about how I went on and on about how "easy" the pizza dough recipe that I used was, even for someone who was afraid of yeast and dough rising. That's where the karma comes in. The dough rising gods got one over on me. The dough for the calzones just didn't rise. That's why it wasn't pretty. And there was only 1.

It could have been for a number of reasons. Like that it was in the fridge for 3 days. I've never left it over that long before. I usually make it on two consecutive days. Or, it could have been that I was in a hurry tonight, and put the dough in the oven to rise while the oven was pre-heating. I probably left it in there a little too long by the look of the skin on the outside of the dough when I took it out. Or probably, it was because a combination of it all.

It was too loose any runny. It was pretty hard to form and flatten out, so instead of two, I made one big calzone, and the hubs and I cut it in half.

At any rate, it still tasted pretty good, but that's probably because of the amazing ingredients inside it. I used some of the same ingredients I put on the pizza, but to be fair in counting TWO Dark Days meals, I did change it up a bit.

From the grocery store: fresh mozzarella (that was hormone free--Yay!), frozen spinach, organic mushrooms, and organic yellow onions (carmelized).

Along with pork sausage from Sandy Creek Farms in Jackson County, roasted garlic from Crihfield Farms in Jackson County, and tomato sauce my mom and I canned from a box of tomatoes I bought from Crihfield Farms last summer.

The dough, was of course, the same recipe as last week, with hard winter wheat stone ground flour from Reed's Mill Flours in Monroe County, with olive oil, active dry yeast and kosher salt from the grocery store. I brushed the the top of the calzone with an egg white from Breezy Knoll Farm in Monroe County via the Monroe Farm Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment