Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The USDA's new dietary guidelines

Is anyone else as excited as I am that the USDA unveiled new dietary guidelines yesterday???

Here's the link to them.

No? Well, I was really excited, because they seem to be moving in the right direction. Basically, it says to drink more water, less pop. Enjoy your food, but eat less of it. Also, reduce sodium and fat. And half of your plate should be fruits and veggies.

When I told Jeremy about it, he said "Duh!" Well, it's just not that simple. We all know that was good advice, but I was so surprised because the USDA has historically been supportive of Big Ag. Like Tyson, Cargill and Monsanto. That's why these guidelines are so astounding. They are saying we need to eat less of the products made by Big Ag.

Now, if we could only make the foods they say we should be eating more affordable and accessible...

Secondly...

Guess what I ordered from the Monroe Farm Market yesterday. Smoked Trout! I am so excited to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment