Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dark Days Challenge Week 2: Butternut Squash Carbonara

I'll admit, this Dark Days meal didn't take much thought. The recipe is in my regular fall and winter rotation. But for good reason. It's freakin' delicious.


I've featured this recipe before on my blog. I got it from this guy's blog, which I really love. His recipes are so straight forward and unpretentious. And just plain good.

The recipe calls for butternut squash, but I had a big bag of pumpkin from last year in the freezer that needs used. The pumpkin was from one of three that my boss gave me from a volunteer vine he had. The pasta was made from flour from Reed's Mill Flour, and eggs from Breezy Knoll Farm, both in Monroe County, WV. I used half and half in the sauce instead of heavy cream from Homestead Creamery in Wirtz, VA. The sauce also had bacon from Sandy Creek Farms in Ravenswood, WV, and two eggs from Cozy Hollow Farm in Monroe County. I generally buy from Breezy Knoll Farm, since I've come to know that farmer, but the last time I ordered, they were sold out, so I bought from another farm. And now, I might switch to Cozy Hollow permanently because their eggs are better. The yolks are so deep orange. That means they're really good for you, too. Absolutely beautiful!


The sauce also had some grated parmesean cheese in it that was not local, but came from Kroger's. It was Stella brand. I can't find any information about it other than their website, so I'm guessing it's not made from cows free from rBST. Booo. Also in the dish was garlic that my mom grew and organic, but not local fresh sage.

Such a hearty winter meal. You just can't beat carbonara.

1 comment: