Monday, July 16, 2012

Lunch with an abundance of squash

I love summer squash. It's so versatile. And since my father-in-law's patty pan plant basically started shooting ripe squash off in all directions, I've made it a dozen ways. We've had it breaded and fried, we've had it sauted, we've had squash fritters and squash casserole two ways. And I still have a handful in my fridge.

I wanted to make something I could take in my lunch that was fairly light and easy and I'm looking at that refridgerator drawer full of squash. I knew I had some orzo left in the pantry, so I thought I could throw together some easy pasta salad. This is what I came up with:

Summer Squash with Orzo and Goat Cheese
(Makes 2 servings)

1 medium to large summer squash, seeded and sliced (you can use yellow or zucchini--I used patty pan)
1 + 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
2 oz. white wine
1 or 2 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried dill
4 oz. (by weight) of orzo
3 oz. goat cheese
1 Tb fresh basil, chopped
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tb olive oil in a skillet and add squash and garlic. Stir to coat and saute until squash begins to get tender and golden. Add dill and white wine. Place a lid on the skillet and turn heat up to medium high. Let squash cook for a few minutes and check. Once squash is tender, remove lid and cook a bit longer to evaporate any leftover wine, then remove from heat. Meanwhile, heat a pot of salted water to boiling and add orzo. Cook according to package directions. Drain and add squash to orzo. Add 1 Tb olive oil and cut or tear goat cheese into small cubes and add to orzo mixture and stir well so that goat cheese melts and coats orzo mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped basil before serving. Can be eaten at room temperature.

(508 calories per serving according to LoseIt!)

Not too shabby for a brown bag lunch at the office, and another way to use up all that squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment