Thursday, July 26, 2012

The first "big" summer harvest.

I could barely contain my anticipation while on vacation as to what my garden might have in it when I got back home. I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Before we left, a picked a few cucumbers and they were just starting to come in. There were also a handful of beans and some tiny squash, as well as dozens of little green tomatoes. Luckily, we got plenty of rain while we were away, so I didn't have to worry about anything being withered and dying.


Sunday evening, I picked five cucumbers and two pounds of beans. Later, Jeremy picked two baby squash when we decided we wanted to grill them for dinner. I also grabbed three green tomatoes that had fallen on the ground before they rotted. I can make some quick refridgerator pickles out of them.

The cucumbers are "minature white" (the short yellow ones) and marketmore 76 varieties. The minature white has a more mild flavor than the marketmores do. I had never even heard of the minature white variety before, but I'm always interrested in experimenting with exotic heirloom varieties. Although, the minature white seems to be a more compact plant with more cukes on the vine than the marketmore, I don't think I would plant them again because they are a little more seedy than I like, but they certainly are striking in the garden. The beans are Kentucky Wonder pole beans. I like the flavor of them better than any other variety. Some people go for stringless beans because they don't care for stringing beans, but it has never bothered me. It actually reminds me of when I was little, and my mom and Paw Paw sitting around stringing beans at my grandparents house.

For dinner, we had the green beans, and a foil pouch of squash, new potatoes and sweet onions with some olive oil and garlic.

I picked all the beans on the plants, even the ones that could have been left to get bigger. A deer ate the tops of all the bean plants at some point last week, and I wasn't sure if they would bear anymore. It's okay, though. I need a place to plant some kale for the fall and winter, and that's probably what will occupy that row of my garden next.

No comments:

Post a Comment