Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dark Days Challenge Week 9: Eat Local Challenge Meal Redeux

Back in October, when I did the Eat Local Challenge, I made one of my favorite meals, open-faced roast beef sandwiches. Well, open-faced roast venison sandwiches. They remind me of when I was little. It was one of my favorite recipes of my mom's. Mostly, I don't think it was the recipe, but how she placed them on the plate, just perfect. Last week, after making a deer roast in the crockpot for venison stroganoff (which was beyond fabulous, by the way, but not quite local enough for a dark days submission as I used store-bought egg noodles and regular sour cream) I had some leftover deer roast. Just enough for two sandwiches. And, I had some frozen hamburger buns that aren't really good for making anything except these sandwiches, since freezing the buns gives them a weird texture. Voila! Quick comfort food.




We also had some leftover macaroni and cheese that my mother-in-law made. It wasn't local, but it was made from scratch and sure was tasty.

Deer roast and gravy: The deer was killed by Jeremy last fall in Marion County and roasted with some local turkey broth (Thanksgiving turkey from White Oak Ridge Farm), a bay leaf, salt and pepper. I made the gravy out of the juices from the crockpot with some added cornstarch.
Mashed potatoes: potatoes from Spangler's Greenhouse sold by the Monroe Farm Market, the milk and butter are from Homestead Creamery in Wirtz, Virginia
Buns: made by yours truly with flour from Reed's Mill Flour sold by the Monroe Farm Market.



No comments:

Post a Comment