Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tigress' Can Jam: Oranges with Dessert Wine and Rosemary



This is an adaptation of a dessert I've made every year for the last few Christmas Eves. There's something about the flavor combination of citrus and rosemary. I made some jam a couple years ago with white peaches and rosemary that was so delicious, so maybe when I first saw this recipe that's what got my attention. When I found out the feature of January's Can Jam would be citrus, I immediately thought of this.

The original recipe is from Martha Stewart Living, December 2007, but I adapted it for canning.

For 3 pints:
1 cup white wine (I used chardonnay)
3 sprigs rosemary
6 lbs. oranges (I used a mix of 2 different types of oranges and some clementines)
very light syrup

Place two-piece lids and rims in a sauce pan and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat, leaving lids in the pan. Peel  and seperate citrus, removing as much pith as possible. Fill 3 pint jars to tops with citrus sections without packing down. Add a sprig of rosemary to each jar. Make the very light syrup (10% sugar, which is recommended for canning citrus) by adding 1/4 cup sugar to 3 cups of water in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Once sugar dissolves, add wine. Bring mixture to a boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat and quickly ladle syrup mixture over citrus leaving 1/2 inch head space. Screw on lids. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting! How does it taste? I love rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What is the texture of the citrus like after you can it? My grandma used to can grapefruit but she spent hours taking the membranes off first. I love the idea of adding wine and rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I went a little overboard with the rosemary in these, which is why I said in the recipe to only use one sprig. I about three, and it was a litte overpowering. But, when I opened the first jar, I fished out the rosemary and it tasted fine. The texture is fine, a little mushier than fresh peeled. Similar to the ones you can buy canned by dole.

    ReplyDelete