Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dark Days Challenge: Week 3

It really was a challenge this week to cook one local meal. Especially, since I didn't really cook a meal this week. The closest I came was putting some pinto beans in the crockpot on Tuesday with some local bacon, and throwing together a pan of cornbread with local eggs. Not local enough to count for the challenge.

I planned on making a meal out of a spaghetti squash I ordered from the Monroe Market a few weeks ago. But, we ate on Thanksgiving leftovers two nights, grabbed dinner on the way to Jeremy's parents' house one night, and Saturday night got invited to go out to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend. Saturday night, I roasted the spaghetti squash and put it in the fridge.

I've never had spaghetti squash before, and for my first attempt, I took the Paula Deen approach. You can't go wrong on trying a new food with copious amounts of butter. Also, a spash of white wine leftover from Thanksgiving, parmesean cheese, garlic, and a bit olive oil.



Maybe you noticed the pasta and bread. That's called Plan B: a frozen Bertolli Mediterranean Skillet Meal. The hubs was not willing to commit to a meal of spaghetti squash in case it turned out we just didn't like spaghetti squash. Actually, it wasn't too bad!

Roasted Spaghetti Squash

1 2-lb. spaghetti squash
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice squash down the middle length-wise. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 mintues.

Let squash cool until cool enough to handle. Scape flesh out into a bowl with a fork to make long strands.

At this point, you can flavor the squash with whatever you like. I tasted it plain, and decided it would lend itself easier to a savory dish, but if you're creative, you could do a creamy sweet sauce. It doesn't get mushy like spaghetti noodles, so the sky's the limit with sauces. I added 2 Tb. local unsalted butter, 1 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 c. of grated parmesean, 3 cloves (yes, I love garlic) of local garlic, and dash of salt, some dried parsely, and a splash of non-local chardonay leftover from Thanksgiving dinner. I think I would make it again. It would make a fabulous side dish to fish or chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment