Sunday, December 20, 2009

What gardening foodies do in the winter

We watch read books and watch movies about gardening and drool on seed catalogs.





It's the dead of winter around here. Saturday pretty much confirmed it when we got 7 inches of snow and I made a big pot of french onion soup for lunch.

Last week, the library finally received its copy of Food, Inc. on DVD. I was the first person to check it out. I should get a sticker or something for being such a geek. Go get this movie and watch it. Un-freakin'-believable. Although, it wasn't much of a shocker for me since I read The Omnivore's Dilema and Chew On This this fall. And, checked out Fast Food Nation from the library. BTW, did you know that you can check out DVDs from the library? For free? It's good stuff. Anyway...

Oddly enough, Friday in the mail, I got a seed catalog that was mistakenly addressed to the former owner of my house. Right in the front of the catalog in big bold letters is "All our seed is non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented. We DO NOT buy seed from Monsanto-owned Seminis."

I'm sold. If this doesn't mean anything to you, like I said, go watch Food, Inc.

So, all weekend, while the snow fell. And fell. And fell. I poured over exotic heirlooms and dreamed about all the tasty stuff that'll come out of my garden this summer. I'm officially a geek, and it's really funny, cause when I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last spring, I thought the same thing about Barbara Kingsolver when I read the part about how she snuggled up with a seed catalog on a snowy afternoon and flagged pages with seeds she was interrested in. Like Barbara, we'll see who's the geek when I'm serving caprese made from tomatoes from my garden that are still warm from the sun. I can almost taste it right now.

By the way, here's the link for the seed catalog I got in the mail: http://www.rareseeds.com/. Never heard of them before, but I'll probably be placing an order in the next few months.
Anybody else have a reputable source for seeds or seedlings? Give me a shout out.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jennelle,
    I live in the U.K and have not heard of this DVD, looks interesting so I will keep my eyes out for it. As an amateur veg grower, i really like the look of your blog and will certainly be back. I hope you have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested in more Monsanto info, there's a documentary called 'The World According to Monsanto' that is very in depth. You can watch the whole movie on YouTube. You may have already seen it, but, if not, it's definitely worth watching. 'The Future of Food' also covers a lot Monsanto's negative treatment of farmers.

    I love Baker Creek seeds. I've ordered from them for several years. They are very committed to keeping heirloom breeds alive and the owner travels all over the world to find seed that is in danger of dying out. It takes me forever to narrow down my choices! The only problem that I've ever had was that a lot of the seeds don't come with planting instructions. I found all of the information that I needed online, though. I had a really great crop of the Extra Dwarf Pak Choy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Territorial seeds. I think it's the best.

    ReplyDelete