Friday, December 25, 2009

Dark Days Challenge Week 6

Sweet Potato Quesadillas ... mmm.




When I was eating this for dinner on Monday, it seemed like something that would be on the menu at a trendy bistro or something. Very edgy. But, really, really simple. You know what I mean... those local eateries (every town has at least one) where they make delicious, simple food. That happens to be local and organic. Because that's what's in vogue now. Here in Charleston we have sister restaurants, Tricky Fish and Bluegrass Kitchen. It's awesome how more and more people are thinking about where their food comes from and what they're eating. I think we can thank the recession for that, but that's a whole 'nother blog entry.

This recipe is from Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle.

SWEET POTATO QUESADILLAS (makes 4)
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp basil
1 tsp cumin
chili powder to taste
extra virgin olive oil for saute
4 flour tortillas
soft cheese such as brie
winter greens such as kale

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes and microwave 5 minutes (more if not soft). Let cool and peel. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Finely mince garlic and add to skillet. Add onion. Saute about 5 minutes until onion turns translucent and softens a bit. Add spices and sweet potato mixture and mix well. Keep warm. Oil a large cookie sheet and place tortillas on it to lightly oil one side. Spread the sweet potato mixture on half of the inside of each tortilla. Top with brie and chard and fold to close. Bake until browned, about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges for serving.

My sweet potatoes, onions and garlic are from the Monroe Market. The oil and spices, of course, weren't local. Neither were the tortillas or cheese. I used goat cheese, by the way, because it's what I had in the fridge. And I didn't have any winter greens, so I skipped that.

I served the quesadillas with polenta, made with butter and a dab of milk. The cornmeal was also from Reed's Mill Flour, sold by the Monroe Market. Check out this news piece about the mill. It's pretty fascinating. When I did the Eat Local Challenge, I had ordered some flour from them, and I called to see where they get the grains from. They actually grow their own wheat and corn. It's basically this one guy, and he is the nicest guy ever. He talked to me for a good while, and I guess was just happy to be able to talk shop with a stranger who was interested. The butter and milk in the polenta were from Homestead Creamery, where I get as much dairy as I can. I am waiting for them to expand to cottage cheese and sour cream, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

  1. I think I have all this in my fridge. Maybe not the brie. But hmmmm ... perhaps I will try it this week while Mike is away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made something similar but using corn tortillas instead of the wheat... and its delicious. The fillings really come out, and for some reason kale and sweet potatoes seem like a natural pair.

    ReplyDelete