Monday, July 12, 2010

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid: Days 5, 6 and 7 and a super-easy blackberry cobbler recipe



Thursday, July 8th
Breakfast: I had Cheerios, milk and raspberries with coffee/cream. Jeremy had a breakfast Lean Pocket and coffee/cream.
Lunch: I had leftover chili (the best kind) and crackers and water. I packed for Jeremy a PB/J sandwich, watermelon, almonds, a cereal bar, some chips and a bottle of green tea.
Snacks: I had a cup of watermelon, 1 oz. of almonds, some oatmeal and cantelope leftover that my coworker brought to work.
Dinner: a Wanchai Ferry sweet and sour shrimp kit (Thanks, Susan, for getting me hooked on these... easy-peasy and delish!) and water.

Friday, July 9th
Today, my mom and I took a canning class taught by WVU Extension. It only cost $10, and we got to keep what we canned. We pressure canned green beans and tomatoes, and boiling water canned blackberry jam. I had so much fun, and I actually learned a lot. I brought home 1 quart of green beans, 1 pint of tomatoes and a half pint of jam. I also brought home 3 big tomatoes since we had so many leftover.

Breakfast: I had a bowl of cereal, milk and coffee. Jeremy had a breakfast Lean Pocket and coffee/cream.
Lunch: My lunch was provided by the class. It was a Subway sandwich and water, and we also had leftover fresh tomatoes from the canning and we made a pot of green beans. Jeremy had a PB/J sandwich, chips, watermelon, almonds, a cereal bar and a bottle of green tea.
Dinner: BBQ ribs from Monroe Market and boiled new potatoes and Yuelingling.
Snacks: I had a piece of blackberry pie and some bean salad at my mom's house. Jeremy had some humus and tortilla chips.

Saturday, July 10th
Breakfast: Jeremy had a breakfast Lean Pocket and coffee/cream. I had coffee/cream and oatmeal with milk and berries.
Lunch: I had a reception for one of the community service groups I'm in today, so I ate the food catered for the reception for lunch. Jeremy played golf, and he had something out of the vending machine at the clubhouse for his lunch bought with his money.
Dinner: ribeyes with balsalmic mushrooms, roasted potatoes with garlic in a foil pouch on the grill, blackberry cobbler, and a bottle of Fisher Ridge Pork Barrel Red that I've been saving.

Saturday, we celebrated our anniversary... 4 years! Our actual anniversary is Thursday, but our schedules this week are shaping up to be crazy. I actually have 2 softball games on Thursday and we have one on the team we play on together on Friday. And Friday is Jeremy's birthday, so all this softball kinda blows any plans to celebrate on Thursday and Friday up. (Makes me wonder why I signed up to play for 2 teams...) And, It looks like the Legislature will be in special session beginning either Wednesday or Thursday, too, so who knows how late I will be working later this week. It's just really bad timing. So, we did what we planned to do on Thursday night on Saturday: grill steaks, open a bottle of red wine and sit on our patio until really late.

Super Easy (and even Weight Watchers!!!) Blackberry Cobbler
I think a lot of people have heard of this recipe, but when I googled it, I had a hard time finding it. So just in case you don't have it...

2 or 3 cups of berries such as raspberries, blackberries or blueberries
1 Tb of sugar per cup of berries
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 can of diet lemon lime soda

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a bowl, add sugar to berries to coat, and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Pour berry mixture in a 9 X 9 baking pan, coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cake mix over berries evenly. Pour the can of soda over the mixture. Do not stir. Bake for 350 for 45 minutes. You can substitute 1 can of cherry pie filling for the berries, and omit the sugar.

In other developments, Jeremy has decided to move his birthday cookout to him mom and dad's because the people we were going to invite from our area can't come now, so pretty much everyone who could come lives closer to his parents than us. And they have more parking. It's good, because she has offered to help with the food. She's making him a cake, and he's decided he wants brats rather than burgers, so they are going to buy those. We might take a package of the hamburger up to make incase someone wants hamburgers rather than brats. I'm not sure yet. At any rate, all I'm making now is guacamole and bringing chips... That's at least do-able with my $25 special occassion budget. I'll have to move the cost of the hamburger I already bought over to the main Pantry Raid total once I figure out how many packages we take up for the cookout. It looks like he and I will be having hamburgers for dinner here at least once this month.

I went to the grocery store today to get a bag of tortilla chips and some beer, and on Monday, we are having a potluck at work for a coworker's birthday. I was asked to bring salad. I bought 4 bags of salad, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 1 bell pepper and a container of goat cheese for $14.54.

TOTAL REMAINING: $19.33

BTW, our beer budget of $25 is cashed out. We spent $18.00 last weekend when we went four-wheeling on the 4th of July on beer and ice, which we shared with the group. And I spent 9.49 on Friday... that's $27.49. I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment