Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid: Days 7 and 8

Sunday, July 11th
Breakfast: I made some frozen biscuits and fried each of us an egg. We had coffee and cream.
Lunch: I had leftover chili and crackers with water, and some leftover cobbler. Jeremy didin't eat lunch.
Snacks: I leftover potatoes and squash from dinner Saturday night. Jeremy had some leftovers I brought home from the reception I was at on Saturday afternoon: mini salmon cakes, olives and chicken salad on a croissant. I also brought home a bunch of strawberries and cut veggies.
Dinner: I made the best pizza you ever laid eyes on. Seriously...
I wasn't even sure what I was going to make for dinner unitl I was watching "Alex's Day Off" on Food Network Sunday morning. She was making pizza, and I decided I could scrape together enough ingredients for a pizza for dinner: goat cheese, sausage, carmelized pearl onions, and wilted swiss chard. I bought the goat cheese for the salad I was supposed to bring to my pot luck at work on Monday, but oh well. We just got back from Chicago, so I was inspired to do a deep dish pizza. I had never made a pizza in my cast iron skillet before, but it worked beautifully! I just seasoned it the last time I used it, so the crust didn't stick a bit. I baked it at 375 for about 30 minutes. I love it when you just throw something together and it turns out delicious!

Monday, July 12th
Breakfast: I had cheerios with raspberries, milk and sugar. Jeremy had a raspberry muffin I made yesterday and some yogart. We both had coffee and cream.
Lunch: Jeremy had a PB/J sandwich, chips, two bottles of water, almonds, and a cereal bar. We had a pot luck at work for a coworker's birthday. We really know how to cook as a group. I had a smoked pork BBQ, grilled veggies, baked beans, chinese slaw, fresh fruit, salad and for dessert, a triffle with berries, lemon pudding and limoncello-soaked angel food cake in it. Man, was it delicious! The good news is that we will eat on the leftovers for at least another day, maybe longer.
Snacks: I had a hard boiled egg and some strawberries.
Dinner: I made pizza again. My pizza dough recipe makes enough for 1 large pizza, but I usually just make 2 small ones since there's only 2 of us. But tonight, I made Margherita pizza with mozzarella, tomatoes, balsalmic vinegar and olive oil. It was amazing. But we're not sure which one was better: that one or the deep dish.

Total spent: $0!
Pantry Raid budget remaining: $19.33.

No comments:

Post a Comment