Thursday, July 15, 2010

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid: Days 9 and 10 and a zucchini recipe


Tuesday, July 13th
Breakfast: we each had a raspberry muffin from the batch I made on Sunday evening. I had coffee/cream with mine.
Lunch: I had leftovers from the potluck: salad with smoked pork and grilled veg and water. Jeremy had a PB/J, two bottles of water, cereal bar, chips and almonds.
Snacks: I had a hard boiled egg and the rest of the strawberries. Jeremy had some tortilla chips and finished off the humus.
Dinner: We had a salad with prosciutto, the rest of the mozzarella, goat cheese and egg ribbons and water to drink.I also made these grilled hot peppers with feta cheese. It's from one of my FAVORITE cooking blogs. This guy's food is easy and always looks soooo good. We also had leftover cobbler for dessert.

Wednesday, July 14th
Breakfast: Jeremy didn't eat breakfast. I had Special K Red Berries and milk and water to drink.
Lunch: I had leftovers from the potluck and water. Jeremy had PB/J, two bottles of water, a cucumber, cereal bar, chips and almonds.
Snacks: I had a raspberry muffin, coffee/cream, and almonds.
Dinner: zucchini casserole sans zucchini, green beans and a sliced tomato, and split the last piece of cobbler for dessert. For the casserole, I used a mix of yellow squash and "peter" pan squash. That's what Jeremy's dad calls the green patty pan (scalloped) squash. It's my mom's recipe from when I was a  kid. I've halfed it below.

Connie's Zucchini Casserole
2 cups of sliced zucchini or a mix of yellow squash and zucchini
1/2 a large onion, sliced
2 Tb. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tb. parsley flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper
2 cups of shredded mozzarella
1 egg, beaten
8 refridgerated pillsbury crescent rolls
2 Tb brown spicy mustard, divided

Heat oven to 350. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini and seasonings. Saute until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Add cheese and beaten egg. Mix well. In a 9 X 9 baking pan, unroll 4 crescent rolls so they are flat on the bottom. Brush with 1 Tb of the mustard. Pour in zucchini mixture. Top with the other 4 crescent rolls. Brush top with 1 Tb mustard. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

This is an easy recipe and a good way to use up the glut of squash in mid-summer. I also make it with frozen squash and zucchini, just make sure it is drained well so the casserole doesn't get soggy. The original recipe was doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 baking pan.

I should point out that my coworkers have quite and green thumb and are generous enough to share. Tuesday I brought home about 2 lbs of half-runner green beans, and Wednesday, I brought home 2 bright red tomatoes. It's a good thing, too. My garden seems to be faltering this year. It's all still alive and green, it just isn't bearing much to eat, which makes me sad. Now, I only have a handful of bean blooms, and I should be picking beans now. The rain also beat off the blossoms of the squash plants a while back. I should be eating fresh yellow squash now, but I doubt I even get a single one. There are a few bright spots in my garden, though. I an going to stop short of saying that I am sick of salads, but tomorrow, I think I'll bring in some of the salad greens from my garden to share with my coworkers.

I went to the grocery store Wednesday evening to get stuff I needed for Jeremy's birthday cookout and for dinner tomorrow eveing. I spent $5.45 for groceries NOT for the cookout. I got a box of stuffing mix, a box of brown rice, turkey kielbasa, and I had a coupon for a free bag of Dole salad (wasn't I just saying I was sick of salads...) For the cookout, I spent $6.47, and I bought cilantro, avocados, onions and tortilla chips. I still need to reconcile the hamburger and grilled I ordered from Monroe Market for the cookout, now that we're not haivng hamburgers and jambalaya. I'll add that to my regular grocery budget, and that will probably finish it off for the month. And, I'm not worried about that. I really shouldn't need anything else, except maybe a half gallon of milk, but I might try to live without that next week, too.

Pantry Raid Budget Remaining: $13.88
Special Occassion budget remaining: $1.78.

No comments:

Post a Comment