Friday, October 7, 2011

SOLE on SNAP: Day 6

So, what does the University of Washington study say we should be getting in a day, as far as nutrients?
Potassium: 3,500 miligrams
Fiber: 25 grams
Vitamin D: 10 micrograms
Calcium: 1000 miligrams

Although, not mentioned in the study, the fitness calculator I use, Lose It!, says I should have 1,701 calories per day. The recommendations are individualized based on your goals and caloric requirements. Sodium is another nutrient I pay particular attention to. The American Heart Association advises that adults should not exceed 2,300 miligrams of sodium daily.

I have the Lose It! app on my iphone, and I've found it HUGELY successful in making me aware how much I was eating. I think I have a better idea about portion sizes now, and how many calories are in certain foods. I've been using it for about 2 years, and I actually weigh less right now that I did two years ago by a few pounds. Of course, everyone goes up and down from time to time (holidays...). It's not for everyone, but it has certainly helped me.

BREAKFAST:
I had 1 cup of Cheerios with 1/3 cup of 2% milk and 1 tsp of turbinado sugar (raw sugar, basically). Jeremy didn't eat breakfast.
LUNCH:
I cleaned out the fridge for my lunch. I sauted 2 patty pan squash that REALLY needed to be eaten or they were going to go bad with a red bell pepper. I grew the red bell pepper and my father in law gave me the squash. I added 1 tb minced garlic and a splash of white wine, then I added half a jar of spaghetti sauce leftover from last week. Also, a coworker brought in a loaf of Italian bread, and I had a couple pieces of that with some olive oil for dipping. Jeremy had a Michaelina's frozen entree, and some trail mix.
DINNER: This is what I had for dinner. It. Was. Amazing.



Marinated tuna on foccacia. It's a take on a a Martha Stewart recipe, but I had to improvise. Charleston Bread Company, where I buy specialty bread, didn't have any baguettes yesterday, so I took one of their salt and pepper foccacia loafs. I think it actually turned out better.

The one downer about this dish is that it isn't SOLE. Sure, the lemon and onion were organic, and the bread was from a local bakery, but the star of the dish, the tuna is pretty much the opposite of SOLE, and I just now realized it. Last month, I bought this canned chunk light tuna for something else I was making and had some leftover. I just looked it up on Seafood Watch, and the site says to "Avoid" chunk light canned tuna. Damn. I have the Seafood Watch app on my phone, so there's no reason I should have bought it. Actually, canned albacore tuna is a "Best Choice" and that's what I should have bought. Lesson learned...

SNACKS: I had a Fage greek yogurt, a small apple and some string cheese. I also had a cup of coffee with powdered creamer at work. Jeremy had a greek yogurt, some BBQ flavored almonds and string cheese. I had quite a bit of Tostitos tortilla chips, which wrecked my calorie count for the day, too.
EXERCISE: No exercise today. Sigh.

STATS:
Calories 2,152
Fat 114.3g
Sat Fat 21.2g
Cholesterol 48.2g
Sodium 3,416mg (HOLY SHIT)
Carbs 227.5g
Fiber 38.1g
Sugars 79.8g
Protein 71.1g
Potassium 2,387 mg (way lower than usual)

1 comment:

  1. what's wrong with canned chunk light tuna? i thought tuna in general was good for you?

    ReplyDelete