Tuesday, October 11, 2011

SOLE on SNAP: Day 7

I stopped at the grocery store yesterday evening for four measly items. And I was hungry. BIG mistake.

I spent $32.91, which isn't bad, considering I got 4 or 5 bags of food. I needed milk, sugar, taco seasoning and sour cream. I had a dentist appointment after work, so I stopped at the Kroger near there. It's smaller than my regular Kroger and doesn't have the selection of organic produce that mine does. But this Kroger has more "manager's special"s than mine does. Call me crazy, but I love getting a good manager's special. Meaning, almost expired and marked down for quick sale. I got a container of field greens ($1.59), fresh broccoli (.99), Lighthouse blue cheese dressing (1.49), 2 greek yogurts (.89 each), and matches (10 small boxes for .59!!!) on manger's special. I bought stuff I knew we'd eat quickly. I also bought 5 avocados, cilantro, 1 lemon, 1 pint of grape tomatoes, club crackers (for an event coming up I need to bring food to), Tostitos, 2 more greek yogurts, and a bottle of water. The bottle of water and bag of Tostitos were for the drive home. Like I said, I wrecked my calorie count yesterday, and that is also Reason #372 why you're not supposed to go grocery shopping when you're hungry...

BREAKFAST:
I had 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch and 1/3 cup of 2% milk for breakfast. Jeremy had the 2 biscuits that were leftover from last weekend and honey.
LUNCH:
I had a big salad made from what I bought at the store last night with blue cheese crumbles and sliced almonds, plus radishes and a bell pepper that I grew. I also had 2 pieces of Italian bread with dipping oil and parmesan that we have a work.
DINNER: Bar food night at the Jones's!!! 2 lbs of pasture-raised chicken wings from Almost Heaven Farm via the Monroe Farm Market. We used my brother's trick for sauce: 1 cup of Sweet Baby Ray's (the BEST BBQ sauce. Period.) Honey Chipoltle and mixed in some Frank's Hot Sauce. We also made potato skins with potatos from my father-in-law's garden, crumbled bacon from pasture-raised pigs at Sandy Creek Farms, shredded cheddar cheese and Kroger brand natural sour cream. (Different from regular kroger brand sour cream. Look at the ingredients. This one has three.)
SNACKS: I had a hard boiled egg and a plain greek yogurt with left over peaches from the big breakfast last weekend. I also had a small apple and piece of string cheese.

1 comment:

  1. 2 questions:
    1-have you ever had granola on salad? It's the only thing that makes it totally edible for me :)
    2-where do you find all your local meats? We went to capital market at one point thinking it was local/fresher and saw it being unloaded from a Sam's semi-truck :(

    ReplyDelete